Thursday, June 13, 2013

a change ;)

Okay so first of all thanks for alllll of the kind words and prayers from everyone recently. I appreciate how many people truly care. Man I felt stuck for a minute thinking about whats ahead, and I am reminded about how many times the bible talks about worry and its in there for a reason because man if we dont focus on one day at a time we are just paralyzed!

So here is the deal, following that therapeutic post, i had said that the next day at therapy he did amazing...well since then he has done amazing!!! But still in my heart I was thinking about how can I get him to feel as normal as possible? and also although yes this is our family, and not everyone's responsibility to accommodate our needs...we actually have many people who love us and just want to know what they can do...and I want to say THANK YOU!!!
it means so much when people want to make life great for Levi. So many times I forget to be specific and then I feel alone in my journey, but as soon as I ask so many people are ready, and so many times I dont know what to ask for...I have had so many friends of mine so casually offer to be a part of helping Levi be motivated to keep going and I cant tell you how God has blessed me with so many thoughtful people recently.
I was thinking about, if there are events that Levi cant really participate in, that its my responsibility to plan things that he can do! I mean, why not have reasons to plan parties hehe, i love doing that anyway, i just need to be his advocate and not find myself in disappointment over things like this. Also, I have to realize that  lots of kids Levi's age are on the go and have no reason to maintain the attention span he has learned to have...so ya know what? I dont have to feel sad when he doesnt keep up with other 2 year old, but he actually loves talking and playing with older kids....so ahhh ha! (not to say dont bring your 2 year old around anymore, its just that I had to change expectations to accommodate!) So there is one problem figured out...

So also part of the problem was that this old walker he had wasnt getting him where he needed to go....so we finally have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay, this is so awesome, and it is actually very different which I said in my brief post because its a reverse walker which will help him learn to stand straighter and walk independently...it was hard hard at first and that was scary to me, but I adjusted some things and its a breeze now and he loves it!! My favorite thing about is that he can walk up to something and transfer to another surface and i love this!! (and that it has a parent bar, and that it goes over bumps well and is portable!!!) So we got the walker on tuesday, and the day before we saw miss carrie levi's Pt who had known my heart had been sad over levi realizing that he cant get where he needs to go recently...and she said "I usually wouldnt bring this up right now, but what if we consider a wheelchair for Levi sometime, not because he wont walk but since he is so smart and is figuring this out earlier, it would boost his confidence... what do you think, if it takes as long as the walker did it will be several months from now but what if we get the ball rolling?"  Let me tell you that I had envisioned the day this would be talked about as the scariest day of my life!!  But I totally get it!!! So we asked our friend with SB who only uses a chair for long distances (and walks and runs everywhere else) if we could have a "play date" with his siblings at the park and check out HIS walker, just to see....
Well he figured it out right away...which is this clip I posted....Wow did it make me happy! I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO SEE THIS, and when I found out about Levi's SB when I was pregnant, this was the scariest idea for me.

So here is the deal...miss carrie saw how levi was doing with his new walker and was thrilled, and we even took off some "extras" we added but he doesnt even need already on day 3...and I think this gave us a great optimism for him getting around..so we are going to try this for a while and then I think we will make decisions on a chair in the nearish future but only as a back up so that he doesnt take the easy way out (meanie momma) But its so hard because you see him get in there and he can zip around and I love that!!!
But it was fun to try Owens wheelchair, and for now we are gonna use our set of wheels to keep staying motivated but its a big deal when you see your baby happy because he can get where he wants to go.

Thanks for the prayers my friends...I am thankful for having such clarity on problem solving this week..Lots of smiles and motivation all around over here!!

No comments: